Thursday, April 28, 2011

Two "Operas" in two days


Ok, so the Three Penny Opera isn't a "real" opera, but Rusalka is! Tonight I saw Dvorak's Rusalka at the Komische Oper with the entire Stanford Program, generously paid for by the Bing family. Like I said in my earlier post, I saw this same production a couple weeks ago with my German friend Daniel. Daniel, being all fancy and European (I mean that in the best way), has seen a lot of Operas. I remember leaving the opera house and asking him what he thought of the production. He told me that he found the ending quite moving, but was critical of some of the staging. I just kind of looked at him and nodded my head because I was completely lost during the second half. The opera was translated into German, as all operas at the Komische Oper are, so Daniel had a distinct advantage. The second time around I understood much more. I am proud to say that, like Daniel, I was moved by the ending. As far as the staging goes, much of it in the second half was ineffective at story telling. However, the decision to have all performers, throughout the entire performance, enter and exit through a single closed door in the center of the stage was brilliant. It made me feel as though the stage was an entirely new world and play area where anything could happen. The voices, of course, were magnificent, and I often stopped paying attention to the words just to listen to the athleticism of the vocal chords. For those of you who speak German, or would like to see more about Rusalka, I have included this video:




My parents also joined us for the opera. It has been so great to have them in Berlin this week, so that I can show them the city I have come to love. Tonight was their last night, and I am sad to see them go. I am so lucky to have such supportive and proud parents. Miss you already mom and dad!

The German word of the day today, in honor of Rusalka, is die Nixe, which means mermaid. Daniel taught me this word a few weeks ago, then I forgot it and asked Jan. :-)

My picture of the day today is of the Stanford Villa. This is where I have all my classes. The villa is exactly 100 years old this year and has a beautiful garden filled with tulips!

No comments:

Post a Comment