Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Die Blumen. The Flowers.

Because the alarm clock on my temporary European cell phone is completely unreliable, I have been using itunes as my alarm clock. This morning I woke up to Anna Netrebko singing from Dvořák's opera Rusalka. I saw this opera with my German friend Daniel a few weeks ago at the Komische Oper and I will be seeing it again on Thursday with Stanford. Here is a video of Anna Netrebko (my favorite singer ever!) singing in the original Czech (I saw the opera translated into German). I'm excited to see it again because I absolutely loved the performance and I definitely did not fully understand the ending the first time around. The problem with waking up to such beautiful peaceful music is that I ended up staying in bed much longer than intended, and was therefore late to my favorite class-- Ethics and medicine. 


The highlight of my day today was showing my parents around the Freie Universität and having them meet my German friends Daniel, San Ja, Vincent, Jan, and Jin-a. I love my German friends so much and I am so lucky to have them in my life here in Berlin.


I took some photographs today, and am especially proud of these two. I took them during the rain outside of the Stanford Villa.

























My German word of the day is: die Osterglocken, which means daffodils but translates directly as Easter bells. 

No comments:

Post a Comment