Monday, April 25, 2011

Fairy tale

I have always been enamored with fairy tales. I love the simplicity of the stories, the nonsensical fantasy of another world, and the connection to childhood. I love it that we all know these stories on some level and that cultures throughout the world have "fairy tales" of their own. My favorite movie of all time is Snow White and I think I have been a Grimm fairy tale character for halloween most years of my life. 


Here I am in Germany, a land famous for their fairy tales thanks to work of the Brother's Grimm, and I feel like I am on a fairy tale adventure of my my own. I live on a lake with swans near a palace for goodness sake! (The palace, Schloss Charlottenburg, is the background picture of this blog btw.) Therefore, I thought that it would be appropriate to call my blog "Märchen", the German word for fairy tale. By writing their own Märchen, the Brother's Grimm hoped to create a sense of national German identity through storytelling. Similarly, through telling my own stories, I hope to strengthen my own sense identity. 


I have no idea what this blog will include, but I assume that my readers are mostly my parents, maybe Josh, some close family, and my closest friends. Therefore, I will write this blog to you and for myself. I hope you enjoy! 


Love,
Amy


PS- Everyday I will include a "German word of the day". Today's word is Märchen. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment