Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Time with Friends

My weekends this quarter start on Thursday because I have no Friday class! On Thursday I spent the day exploring bookstores and paper stores on Schlossstraße with my friend Andy. Sounds boring I know, but I love exploring German bookstores! I have never seen so many German books in my life! Favorite book I saw "Bieber Fieber" all about Justin Bieber. I loved it because Bieber fever actually rhymes in German. After finishing up an essay, I met up with my awesome international friends from England and France at Hackescher Markt. I brought along a few Americans and we had a great time.

Friday night I went to a party next to the river with my new Austrian and German friends, and then afterward I met up with some other German friends to ride around the "ring". The "ring" is a giant public transit ring that the Berlin subway system makes around the city. There were about ten of us who decided to ride around the entire ring just for fun, and it was a great time. Unfortunately, I had to leave early because I was leaving early in the morning for Dresden.

I think I'll dedicate an entire post to my saturday and sunday adventures, so you will have to wait to hear about Dresden!

German word of the day today is Sabrina total verhext, which is the German translation for everyone's favorite 90s TV show, Sabrina the Teenage Witch! :-)

The photo of the day today is of three of my German friends: Jan, Vincent, and Daniel.


Let me briefly tell you the story of how I met these friends and also my friends Jina and San Ja:

I was in the cafeteria of the Freie Universität my first week in Germany, and I was all alone. After I got my food I didn't know where or with whom I should sit. So, I walked around the cafeteria searching out the perfect friendly looking table. I was checking to see that they were not too old, not too young, not too many men or too many women, that there was an extra seat at the table, not too cool or too dorky, and friendly looking. (I felt a little bit like Lindsay Lohan in Mean Girls. lol) After about five minutes of wandering around the cafeteria, I saw my future friends sitting at a table. I went up to them and said in German "Hi can I sit with you? My name is Amy and I have no friends". They gave me this strange look but let me sit down, and then I explained that I was new in this country, had only been here a few days, and knew no one. They then immediately invited me to come to a bar with them. I thought they were joking, but they were serious. So I met them at a bar later that night and we have been friends ever since. I love them so much, and I am already sad at the thought of leaving them behind in Germany come September.

No comments:

Post a Comment